söndag 23 november 2014

Ref & inspiration

Jag försöker hjälpa mig själv med de konstnärliga referenserna och kom att fundera över vilka konstnärer och konstverk som jag har samlade i mitt konstnärliga släktträd och kom att tänka på Janine Antoni som har inspirerat mig flera gånger.

"Antoni's work focus mostly on process and the transitions between the making and the finished product. She often uses her body, as an entity or particular attention to body parts as tools, utilizing her mouth, hair, eyelashes, and, through technological scanning, the brain, to perform everyday activities to create her artwork." [källa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janine_Antoni]

Antonis egna ord om sitt verk Gnaw hjälper mig att ringa in och ta mig närmre mitt eget arbete:

"[...] rather than to describe the body, I decided to talk about the body by the residue it left on the object. [...] And use my body as the tool. So rather than use a hammer and chisel I would use my mouth. I was very interested in everyday activities, like the activity of eating. So, I said to myself, if I'm going to carve with my mouth, what's the best material to carve with? Chocolate then seemed like the obvious choice. It seemed to embody desire for the viewer, and what happens if you succumb to that desire? You get fat. So I used fat as the material to make the second cube - a 500 pound cube of lard. The lard will begin as a cube and as the exhibition goes on, it will collapse onto the floor. [...] I was taught by Minimalism that not only the material had meaning, but the process in wich it was made. So my cubes are poured, chewed, spit out, melted down and recast. They've really been in intimate contact with my body and really carry the traces of my body on them." [källa: MoMA: http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=82028]

Att vara ett redskap, att använda sin egen kropp för att formulera något (allmängiltigt) är det det jag håller på med? Ovanstående får mig också att ställa mig frågan om vad för material jag själv väljer att gjuta i mina alginatformar, för som bekant står olika material för olika saker och berättar eller har olika betydelse. En fråga som jag brottats med ett tag men som jag inte riktigt får någon pli på och som jag verkligen känner är av stor vikt något som gör att jag känner mig lite låst. 



















Källor:
1. Gnaw - 1992 installation with chocolate and lard: http://www.artnet.com/magazine/FEATURES/saltz/Images/saltz10-2-4.jpg

1 kommentar:

  1. Hej! Ytterligare referenser:
    http://avaxsearch.com/?q=La%20chatte%20andalouse%20/%20Andalusian%20Cat-woman

    och

    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/my-penis-and-everyone-elses/

    Ha det fint!

    SvaraRadera